Tuesday, March 6, 2012

HUGO dvd review


In resourceful orphan Hugo Cabret (Asa Butterfield, an Oliver Twist-like charmer), Martin Scorsese finds the perfect vessel for his silver-screen passion: this is a movie about movies (fittingly, the 3-D effects are spectacular). After his clockmaker father (Jude Law) perishes in a museum fire, Hugo goes to live with his Uncle Claude (Ray Winstone), a drunkard who maintains the clocks at a Paris train station. When Claude disappears, Hugo carries on his work and fends for himself by stealing food from area merchants. In his free time, he attempts to repair an automaton his father rescued from the museum, while trying to evade the station inspector (Sacha Baron Cohen), a World War I veteran with no sympathy for lawbreakers. When Georges (Ben Kingsley), a toymaker, catches Hugo stealing parts for his mechanical man, he recruits him as an assistant to repay his debt. If Georges is guarded, his open-hearted ward, Isabelle (Chloë Moretz), introduces Hugo to a kindly bookseller (Christopher Lee), who directs them to a motion-picture museum, where they meet film scholar René (Boardwalk Empire's Michael Stuhlbarg). In helping unlock the secret of the automaton, they learn about the roots of cinema, starting with the Lumière brothers, and give a forgotten movie pioneer his due, thus illustrating the importance of film preservation, a cause to which the director has dedicated his life.

MY THOUGHTS

Now I was not sure if I would like HUGO or not when I first saw the previews, but then I watched the Oscars and saw how acclaimed the movie was and decided I needed to see it for myself.  My first piece of advice about the movie is DO NOT look away.  You will miss something or get lost easily.  I went to do something right quick and had to rewind back to where I left at to understand what was happening next. 

I have to admit the move is beautifully done.  I have tried to look for better words to describe and I just can not.  Scorsese created a beautiful movie.  Now with that said, the movie will not be for everyone.  My daughters played while it was on and only watched a few scenes.  My son was intrigued by the movie but did say that it confused him at times for a bit.  I personally loved the message behind the movie and thought the actors were phenomenal.  I mean this movie has some great acting in my opinion.  Still I agree with my son at times it was hard to follow til you realized what was going on but I think that was part of the beauty of HUGO.

I recommend this movie to movie lovers and to those who love a thinker movie.  And those who appreciate a movie to get lost in so to speak.  The movie si currently available now where dvds are sold and online at Amazon.com for $ 16.99.  So be sure to grab yourself a copy of the movie today.

* I received the above mentioned product solely for revie purposes.  The above mentioned opinion is completely honest and completely my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I haven't seen it. You make it sound worth watching.
    Rita Spratlen rjspratlen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete